Homemade Dairy Free Coconut Yoghurt

19:09

Yoghurt is one of my all time favourite foods to eat, however, I am beginning to steer away from consuming dairy as i'm finding my body does not tolerate it very well anymore.

I love having yoghurt with my breakfast so I did some research on yoghurt alternatives and came across coconut yoghurt. I am obsessed with anything coconut so I thought coconut yoghurt would be perfect, until I went to purchase some from the shops and saw the hefty price tag that came along with it. Being on a student budget there is just no way I can afford to purchase it regularly so I researched further into making my own and found that it is actually quite easy to do so. 

I decided to follow the recipe from The Kitchn (she has a variety of other recipes available that I definitely recommend checking out).

I'll share my experience making the yoghurt but offer all credit for the recipe to The Kitchn.

Recipe
2 Cans of coconut milk (I opted for a good quality one as it is still only $1.80/can)
2 Tbsp Tapioca Starch
4 Probiotic Capsules
2 Tbsp Raw sugar or maple syrup (Optional) 


Begin by shaking the cans and then emptying them into a medium sized pot and give it a whisk.
Remove abut 1/3rd of this mixture and place it into a separate bowl with the tapioca starch. Whisk this together until is all combined and thickened and place back into the pot.


Heat the mixture on a medium heat until it begins to simmer. Continue whisking for another 5-10 minutes and turn it down to low heat until the mixture has thickened.



Leave the milk to cool now until it is just warm to touch.

Add the probiotics by opening the capsules and pouring the contents into the mixture, throwing away the capsules and whisk to combine.

Add the sugar or maple syrup and whisk well.

Pour the contents into jars and secure with the lid. Place it into the oven with the light on to keep it warm, in a yoghurt maker or in a dehydrator at 110 F for 12-24 hours.

Place the set yoghurt into the fridge, leaving to chill for about 6 hours as the yoghurt will thicken up now too. If the mixture has separated, stir together or scoop off the top layer for a thicker mixture.

Keep the yoghurt refrigerated.



I wasn't entirely happy with the consistency of my yoghurt once it had fermented so I decided to put a teaspoon of psyllium husks in and stir and a teaspoon of chia seeds to thicken it up. It still tastes delicious and is probably better with these added foods.

Next time I think i'd try to use the yoghurt maker rather than the oven to see what consistency that creates.

This recipe, however, is super easy and tasty and is a great alternative to high sugar, dairy yoghurts that are purchased in stores.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Subscribe